Sunday, September 11, 2011

All Hail Lucci!

"Victory", 11x14, oil on illustration board

So I finally finished my entry for the Benjamin Benjamin tribute show to Susan Lucci and here it is! This was a funny project for me for a few reasons. For one, I was invited to do the show kinda last minute, meaning I had to come up with an idea pretty quick. Also, I really didn't know too much about the fabulous Miss Lucci. I mean I had heard of her, but as my Grandma puts it, "All My Children was never one of my stories". She did seem like a damn classy lady though, so I resolved to give it my best.

Though I'd never really seen her in action, the one thing I did know was that she had the longest running streak of nominations (18 times) for the daytime Emmys without an actual win until 1999. Since that's what I knew her best for, I decided to do a piece celebrating her moment of victory, by making her an Emmys version of the actual goddess Victory. Yup. That's what I did alright. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best with "likenesses" and there is nothing more difficult than drawing a pretty person (if you cartoon them at all, they look like ever other pretty person) so that was tough. That being said, I think it worked out.

Close up

This one is definitely leaning more towards illustration over fine art, but I think it will be a funny addition to the show. I also found a great (read: tacky) gold metal frame from the 60s or 70s with plenty of flourish to add to the fabulousness. Come down this Thursday (the 15th) and celebrate all that is Lucci with us!

Framed and ready to go!

No comments: