Sunday, February 24, 2013

Carte de Visite show preview

This next First Thursday (3/7) I'll be participating in Gigantic Gallery's annual Carte de Visite show. If you don't know what a carte de visite is (I didn't) you can read about them here. Basically, the idea is to get as many artists to do as many 4x6 pieces as possible, while keeping the art cheap and accessible.You can see the post for last year's show here.

For my entires I've decided to do some drawings of animal skulls and then add some color to give them a bit more interest. Here are some of the drawings without the color:

Camel skull

Warthog skull

Bulldog skull

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have much experience with ink drawings, but I thought it would be a fun way to practice my skills, while producing something kinda interesting. These are all done with cheap ballpoints, which I love doodling with, but never used for finals. The nice thing about skulls is that unless you are a biologist or something, you can't tell when they are slightly off. It allowed me to work in pen and chill-out about not having an eraser. I'm shooting for 12 in total, priced around $20 each.

Anyway, check back here as we get closer to the show and I'll have more info and some images of the finals.

No comments: